For centuries, chaste tree berries have supported women’s hormonal health and their menstrual cycles. In recent years, studies have been done to put these claims to the test.
In a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study, 162 female patients (ages 18-45) were randomly chosen to take either a placebo or various doses of a chaste tree berry product (featuring 8, 20, or 30 mg) over three menstrual cycles. Each woman assessed the severity of their symptoms on a scale. The symptoms monitored were levels of irritability, anger, other mood alterations, headaches, bloating, and breast fullness. The results were encouraging. The chaste tree berry was well tolerated by the women and the higher the dose, the more help each woman received from their PMS symptoms. Those taking 20 mg or higher had significantly better results in symptom alleviation than those in the placebo or 8 mg treatment groups.
Another randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study involved 134 patients who were asked to complete a self-assessment. The questionnaire asked the patients about their mood and uncomfortable hormonal symptoms. The patients were asked to take 40 drops of Vitex extract or the matching placebo for 6 days before menses for 6 consecutive cycles. The study found those taking chaste berry significantly improved their symptoms, compared to the placebo.
Chaste tree berry is featured in both NutriRestore’s Cycle Balance and Menopause Balance products.
Related Products: Cycle Balance, Estro Balance, Menopause Balance
† These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Zamani, M., Neghab, N., Torabian, S. (2012). Therapeutic Effect of Vitex Agnus Castus in Patients with Premenstrual Syndrome. Acta Medica Iranica. https://www.sid.ir/en/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=233739. Published 2012; 50(2):101-106.
- Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association (1996). Published March-April 2000:40(2);234-242
- Chopin, Lucks B. Vitex agnus castus essential oil and menopausal balance: a research update. Complement Ther Nurs Midwifery. Published 2003; 9(3):1480154 and 157-60. [PMID: 12852933]
- Schellenberg R, Zimmermann C, Drewe J, et al. Dosedependent efficacy of the Vitex agnus castus extract Ze 440 in patients suffering from premenstrual syndrome. Phytomedicine. 2012 Sep 27. pii: S0944-7113(12)00280-2.
- Schellenberg R. Treatment for the premenstrual syndrome with agnus castus fruit extract: prospective, randomised, placebo controlled study. BMJ. 2001 Jan 20;322(7279):134- 37. [PMID: 11159568].
Herbs included in this product can potentially interact with certain medications and/or may have adverse effects for individuals with certain medical conditions or allergies. Make sure to consult with your licensed healthcare provider before taking this product. Not for use during pregnancy or when breastfeeding. Store away from children