Chaste tree berry (Vitex agnus-castus) helps improve progesterone levels. While chaste tree berry extract is often used by itself to support women’s menstrual cycles and hormones, it can provide even more help when combined with other hormone-helping herbs. It has been known to normalize short luteal phases and progesterone synthesis and may help relieve other PMS-related symptoms, such as breast tenderness and irritability.
Wild yam (Dioscorea villosa) is a phytohormone, meaning it is a plant-produced substance that can act as a replication of human hormones. When wild yam is concentrated in a tincture, it can promote progesterone-like activity to aid in balancing hormones.
Dong Quai helps strengthen thin vaginal tissue (also known as vaginal atrophy or atrophic vaginitis), which can help alleviate symptoms caused by lowered estrogen, such as vaginal dryness, pain during sex, and painful urinary problems. While this usually happens after menopause, cycling women can still experience major hormonal imbalances that lead to these symptoms. At the clinic, we like to pair Dong Quai synergistically with other herbs to promote menstrual regularity.
Red root supports lymph movement and aids in lowering swelling and bloating that occurs from backed-up lymphs. It is an excellent aid for detoxification and supports the liver and the spleen.
Red raspberry has long been used to improve menstrual regularity and lessen the severity of cramps.
† These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Geller SE, Studee L. Botanical and dietary supplements for menopausal symptoms: what works, what does not. J Womens Health(Larchmt). 2005 Sep;14(7):634-49. [PMID: 16181020]
- Nappi RE, Malavasi B, Brundu B, et al. Efficacy of Cimicifuga racemosa on climacteric complaints: a randomized study versus low-dose transdermal estradiol. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2005 Jan;20(1):30-5. [PMID: 15969244]
- Ruhlen RL, Sun GY, Sauter ER. Black cohosh: Insights into its mechanism(s) of action. Integr Med Insights. 2008;3:21-32. [PMID: 21614156]
- Chen JK, Chen TT. Chinese Medical Herbology and Pharmacology. City of Industry, CA: Art of Medicine Press, Inc; 2001:645, 919.
- Somjen D, Katzburg S, Vaya J, et al. Estrogenic activity of glabridin and glabrene from licorice roots on human osteoblasts and prepubertal rat skeletal tissues. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2004 Aug;91(4-5):241-6. [PMID:15336701]
- Chopin Lucks B. Vitex agnus castus essential oil and menopausal balance: a research update [Complementary Therapies in Nursing and Midwifery 8 (2003) 148-154]. Complement Ther Nurs Midwifery. 2003 Aug;9(3):157-60. [PMID: 12852933]
- Atkinson C, Compston JE, Day NE, et al. The effects of phytoestrogen isoflavones on bone density in women: a double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Feb;79(2):326-33 [PMID: 14749241].
- Van de Weijer PH, Barentsen R. Isoflavones from Red clover (Promensil) significantly reduce menopausal hot flush symptoms compared with placebo. Maturitas. 2002 Jul 25;42(3):187-93. [PMID: 12161042] 9. Schütz K, Carle R, Schieber A. Taraxacum—a review on its phytochemical and pharmacological profile. J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Oct 11;107(3):313-23. [PMID: 16950583] 10. Maliakal PP, Wanwimolruk S. Effect of herbal teas on hepatic drug metabolizing enzymes in rats. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2001 Oct;53(10):1323-29. [PMID: 11697539]
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. Dandelion.[ Full Monograph] http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/nd/Search.aspx?cs=&s=ND&pt =100&id=706&fs=ND&searchid=34505380. Accessed May 7, 2012.
- American Botanical Council. Motherwort herb. http://cms.herbalgram.org/ expandedE/Motherwortherb.html. Accessed May 7, 2012.
- Kulkarni SK, Dhir A. Withania somnifera: an Indian ginseng. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2008 Jul 1;32(5):1093-105. [PMID: 17959291]
- Dhuley JN. Effect of ashwagandha on lipid peroxidation in stress-induced animals. J Ethnopharmacol. 1998 Mar;60(2):173-8. [PMID: 9582008]
Always be sure to speak with your healthcare provider before starting any new nutritional supplement when pregnant or nursing. For children, we recommend speaking with your child's pediatrician regarding proper dosing. Store away from children.
If loose stools occur, stop use and notify your healthcare practitioner.