Choline is an essential nutrient that is part of cell membranes and is used by nerves to send impulses. Choline has several distinct functions.
Choline is found in foods such as beef liver, egg yolks, nuts, seeds, beef, scallops, cod, kidney beans, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and more.
Change the “Additional functions of phosphatidylcholine” section to:
- Supports healthy blood sugar levels by enhancing cells sensitivity to insulin.
- Phosphatidylcholine helps the brain make acetylcholine, one of its most important chemical messengers. Acetylcholine travels between nerve cells, creating and calling up memories. Therefore, phosphatidylcholine can help maintain healthy brain function as we age. .
- Encourages healthy fat metabolism by properly breaking down fat.
- Helps maintain healthy levels of homocysteine, a compound that can affect blood vessels at elevated levels.
- Promotes healthy cholesterol levels.
- Helps support the aging process by maintaining healthy cells membranes and protecting them from damage.
- Protects blood vessels by supporting normal blood pressure.
- Helps support healthy estrogen levels by helping the liver convert estradiol to estriol, a safer form of estrogen. In this way, phosphatidylcholine is helpful for supporting proper hormone balance in women.
- Kidd P. Phosphatidylcholine: a superior protectant against liver damage. Alt Med Rev 1996;1(4):258-274
- Olszewski AJ, Szostak WB, Bialkowska M, Rudnicki S, McCully KS. Reduction of plasma lipid and homocysteine levels by pyridonxine, folate, cobalamin, choline, riboflavin, and troxerutin in ather osclerosis [published erratum appears in Atherosclerosis 1991 May;88(1):978] Atherosclerosis 1989;7 5(1):1-6
- Cantafora A, Masella R, Angelico M, Gandin C, Blount RJ, Peterson SW. Effect of intravenous polyunsaturated phosphatidylcholine infusion on insulin receptor processing and lipid composition of erythrocytes in patients with liver cirrhosis. Eur J Clin Invest 1992;2 2(12):777-82
- Little A, Levy R, Chuaqui-Kidd P, Hand D. A double-blind, placebo controlled trial of high-dose lecithin in Alzheimer’s disease. J. Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1985;4 8(8):736-42
- Fabia R, Ar’Rajab A, Willen R, et al. Effects of phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylinositol on aceticacid-induced colitis in the rat. Digestion 1992;5 3(1-2):35-44
- Bordamann G, Rudin W, Favre N. Immunization of mice with phosphatidylcholine drastically reduces theparasitaemia of subsequent Plasmodium chabaudi chabaudi blood-stage infections. Immunology 1998;94(1):35-40
Always be sure to speak with your healthcare provider before starting any new nutritional supplement when pregnant or nursing. For children, we recommend speaking with your child's pediatrician regarding proper dosing. Store away from children.